Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Seasons: Baby. Food.


We are now in the season of baby food. Jed loooves to eat. I mean he really loves food. We have to make sure we feed him at the right speed or he gets frustrated (sounds a bit like his grandpa doo doo)! In an effort to save a few bucks and so I know what Jed is really eating, I decided to make my own food. Don't get me wrong... when we are going somewhere I always have a back up baby food jar in my diaper bag... so I am not against baby food from the store, this is just my fun little project!

It all starts with fresh fruits and vegetables, and it is sooooo simple! I spent 3 hours yesterday making enough food for about one month. It cost about $20! Baby food costs about $3 per day depending on how much they eat (about 90$ a month).

Plums.
Simmer down until the "melt" in a pot, strain, remove pits, puree.
Sweet Potatoes. (Peel, wrap with tin foil, bake in 425 oven until done (30 min ish), remove foil, puree.)

Peas. (Boil, puree)
Green Beans. (Boil, puree.)
Bananas. (Peel, smash or puree)
Carrots. (Peel, cut, boil, puree).
I use my handy food processor... a must!
I use all different kinds of containers... I put some in ice cube trays... I have some small containers and I also use cup cake trays, both mini and regular.

Keep in mind that there is a 1-3 month window for the food to be eaten so always date the food when you make it.

The food is fresh and tastes good. I made sure to taste all of it! (I wouldn't ever try baby food from a store... it just smells bad!)

Jed likes it!
"Ohhhhhh"
Yummy...
Trying to grab the bowl...
Oops, we missed!
Water please (we just figured out how to hold the cup)!
I'm pretty sure he wants to feed himself... he always wants a spoon so I finally just got two. One for Jed and one for mommy.



1 comment:

  1. So cute! I love this post! I make Hudson's food too! It's so fun and so easy :) xoxo

    ReplyDelete